Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Don't be afraid! Embrace Social Media!

Last night amidst doing some homework, I came across a Craigslist job posting for a "Social Media Coordinator and Communication Director" position with Multnomah County. Reading through the requirements I was pleased to see that the requested requirements were all attributes that I obtained (minus my degree of course, which I'll have next spring). Reading further down, it stated that the position would pay $60k-$70k a year! That's almost twice what an entry level agency PR position pays. I was thrilled! The main area of public relations that I happen to enjoy the most is something that could be made into a career!

But my career parade quickly experienced a downpour. This evening I came across an article from KATU news in Portland, Oregon reporting that the position is no longer available as it has been eliminated due to the thought that social media simply is not a priority. 

This is so unfortunate for me to see this. As a journalism and public relations student in 2009, Social Media is at the forefront of my mind as it is incorporated into all of our teaching here at the University of Oregon's School of Journalism and Communication. The dramatic impact that Social Media can have on a business or an organization is far greater than most people realize. With so many people heading online to receive their news and information, it is vital that businesses and organizations are utilizing this method of communication with their stake-holders. 

As the wedding planner in Father of the Bride once said, "Welcome to the 90's Mr. Banks!" Welcome to the new millennium folks! Sit down and relax. Social Media is here to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment