Thursday, July 2, 2009

Joy in the Job

I've just completed week two of my summer internship at The Mentoring Project, a non-profit organization in Portland, Oregon that seeks to end the national crisis of fatherlessness through pairing fatherless boys with men in the community to mentor them.. 

My main responsibility is to contribute to the social media side of the organization as well as to launch and contribute to the blog. Social media is something that I greatly enjoy. I also believe in its possibilities for businesses and non-profits alike. 

This has led me thinking this morning about the great hunt that everyone seems to be on to find happiness in their job. I however, do not believe in the pursuit of happiness, as it is fleeting, but rather the pursuit of joy. 

How does one find joy in the job? In my years of working I think it is most often found when it plays into your own personal strengths and interests. 

In a WebMD article by Dulce Zamora, "Different people have different needs, and different things that motivate them," says Roni Reiter-Palmon, PhD, director of the Industrial/Organizational Psychology program at the University of Nebraska, Omaha.

When we feel joy on the job, that motivates us to excel and put in 110%. 

When looking for a job, look for one that plays into your strengths and interests. If you're stuck in a job that has your counting down the minutes until 5 p.m., then consider your strengths and do your best to incorporate them into your present situation. 

For more information on The Mentoring Project, you can visit their website at www.thementoringproject.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment